This project reconfigured access between the U.S. Peace Bridge and I-190 in Buffalo. A new NB ramp (Ramp D) now provides a direct connection to I-190, including a new structure over the CSX railway tracks. Portions of Ramps C and N were rebuilt to accommodate the new ramp. Porter Avenue Bridge over the CSX tracks and I-190 was reconstructed and includes a roundabout with two realigned ramps. The Riverwalk trail was realigned and includes new bridges over the CSX tracks and I-190.The roadway going through Front Park was eliminated and the park was restored to its original configuration.
This was a multiyear staged construction project. The bid included a time component for completion. The contractor worked all winter and two shifts during the summer of 2015 and 2016 to meet the scheduled completion date and claim the incentive bonus.
- Temporarily relocated the existing Ramp N while building the lowered tunnel section for the new Ramp N. Closed Ramp C temporarily.
- Demolished and reconstructed the existing pedestrian trail and bridge over the CSX tracks and I-190
- Constructed Ramp D over Ramp N
- Reconnected Ramp C
Stages 2 and 3
- Shifted traffic and reconstructed Porter Avenue Bridge over I-190 and the CSX tracks – one half at a time
- Built the Porter Avenue roundabout, including new ramp connections to the Peace Bridge and I-190.
- Rebuilt Ramp A to the Peace Bridge.
- Reconstructed the pumping-station access road.
- Modified the Front Park entrance and paths; removed Baird Drive from Front Park.