The Erie County Department of Environment and Planning’s Division of Sewerage Management (DSM) retained Erdman Anthony to replace the existing influent bar screens – or mechanical filters capable of removing large objects from wastewater – and the enclosing structure at the East Aurora Water Resource Recovery Facility. Erdman Anthony’s scope of services for the project included:
- Obtaining existing survey information, record plans, and vendor contacts from DSM
- Reviewing all available record plans and documentation for the existing facility
- Conducting several site investigations and surveys to assess site conditions and verify record-plan data
- Discussing preferred equipment possibilities with vendors suggested by DSM
- Reviewing the discussion’s results with DSM and obtaining its concurrence
- Discussing prefabricated structures with manufacturers and reviewing with DSM
- Meeting with DSM to establish the options selected for further evaluation and pricing
Following these efforts, Erdman Anthony obtained DSM specifications and front-end boilerplate documentation for proposal books, and also prepared plans, specifications, and an engineer’s opinion of probable cost for the project.
The final project included:
- Replacement of the existing building with a new prefabricated structure. The new structure was larger than the existing structure to accommodate the new equipment.
- Two new influent bar screens, with one washer/compactor that will discharge into a dumpster on the side of the building. This included all the appurtenances required for the operation of the devices.
- Interior and exterior lighting, interior and exterior fixtures, insulation, an exhaust fan, electric heat, and a new water service
- Retention of the existing concrete influent channels
- A new concrete slab and connections to the existing concrete foundations/channels
- Grading and a new retaining wall to accommodate the expansion
- Design of a new 480V, three-phase power source to the screen building, routed underground from an existing building
- Design of the controls for start/stop and speed, plus an overflow alarm
- Design of a grounding system for the expanded screen building
- Provisions for temporary electrical service and maintenance of influent flow
Erdman Anthony also assisted DSM in obtaining bids for the project, provided recommendations of bidders, and provided construction administration services.
2021 Silver Award
American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) of New York
Construction/Repair Project of the Year
APWA, New York Chapter, Western Branch – 2020